PersonDr. rer. soc. oec., Universitätsprofessor
- Phone: +49 241 80 49820
- Please see our website
Reinhard Madlener was born in 1964 in Dornbirn, Austria. He studied commerce and finance as well as paedagogics at the Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration (WU Wien) and then also economics at the Institute for Advanced Studies Vienna (IHS). He received his doctoral degree from WU Wien in the economics and social sciences (Dr. rer. soc. oec.), specializing in general economics, environmental economics, and statistics. Before taking up his position at RWTH Aachen University in 2007, he was the managing director of the Institute for Advanced Studies Carinthia (1999-2000), assistant professor at the Centre for Energy Policy and Economics (CEPE), ETH Zurich (2001-2007), lecturer at the Faculty of Economics, University of Zurich (as of 2003), and senior researcher at the German Institute of Economic Research / DIW Berlin (2007). Among others, he was a visiting fellow at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the European University Institute (Florence, Italy), and the University of Warwick (Coventry, UK). Reinhard Madlener is one of five full professors at the E.ON Energy Research Center (E.ON ERC), established at RWTH Aachen University at the end of 2006, and is the director of the Institute for Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN), founded by himself in June 2007. He has conducted numerous (international) research projects with industrial participation. From December 2010 to April 2014, Reinhard Madlener was the RWTH director of JARA Energy (www.jara.org), and since May 2014 he has been the vice director.
- Energy economics, energy management, energy policy-making
- Energy consumer needs and behaviour, structural change in energy systems
- Economics of technical change / technology adoption, diffusion and transfer
- Investment & financing under uncertainty, risk management and portfolio optimization (energy issues)
- Quantitative modelling and analysis / empirical and experimental economics
- Turner, K.; Madlener, R. (2016): After 35 Years of Energy Rebound Research in Economics: Where do we Stand? In: T. Santarius, H.J. Walnum, C. Aall (Eds.): Rethinking Climate and Energy Policies. New Perspectives on the Rebound Phenomenon. Chapter 2. Berlin/Heidelberg/New York: Springer, 17-36.
- Sunak, Y.; Madlener, R. (2016): The Impact of Wind Farm Visibility on Property Values: A Spatial Difference-in-Differences Analysis. In: Energy Economics, 55(March), 79-91.
- Charalampous, G.; Madlener, R. (2015): Risk Management and Portfolio Optimization for Gas- and Coal-Fired Power Plants in Germany: A Multivariate GARCH Approach. In: Journal of Energy Markets 9 (2), 66-94.
- Budny, C.; Madlener, R.; Hilgers, C. (2015): Economic Feasibility of Pipeline and Underground Reservoir Storage Options for Power-to-Gas Load Balancing. In: Energy Conversion and Management 102 (September), 258-266.
- Kerres, B.; Fischer, K.; Madlener, R. (2015): Economic Evaluation of Maintenance Strategies for Wind Turbines: A Stochastic Analysis. In: IET Renewable Power Generation 9(7), 766-774.
- Wüstemeyer, C.; Madlener, R.; Bunn, D. (2015): A Stakeholder Analysis of Divergent Supply-Chain Trends for the European Onshore and Offshore Wind Installations. In: Energy Policy, 80(May),36-44.
- Grieser, B.; Sunak, Y.; Madlener, R. (2015): Economics of Small Wind Turbines in Urban Settings: An Empirical Investigation for Germany. In: Renewable Energy, 78(June), 334-350.
- Bernstein, R.; Madlener, R. (2015): Short- and Long-Run Electricity Demand Elasticities at the Subsectoral Level: A Cointegration Analysis for German Manufacturing Industries. In: Energy Economics, 48(March), 178-187.
- Palmer, J.; Sorda, G.; Madlener, R. (2015): Modeling the Diffusion of Residential Photovoltaic Systems in Italy: An Agent-Based Simulation. In: Technological Forecasting and Social Change 99(October), 106-131.
- Sorda, G.; Sunak, Y.; Madlener, R. (2013): An Agent-Based Spatial Simulation to Evaluate the Promotion of Electricity from Agricultural Biogas Plants in Germany. In: Ecological Economics, 89(May), 43-60.
- Michelsen, C.C.; Madlener, R. (2012): Homeowners' Preferences for Adopting Innovative Residential Heating Systems: A Discrete Choice Analysis for Germany. In: Energy Economics, 34(5), 1274-1283.
- Westner, G.; Madlener, R. (2012): The Impact of Modified EU ETS Allocation Principles on the Economics of CHP-based District Heating Systems. In: Journal of Cleaner Production, 20(1), 47-60.
- Garbuzova, M.; Madlener, R. (2013): Prospects and Barriers for Russia’s Emerging ESCO Market. In: International Journal of Energy Sector Management, 7(1), 115-150.